Sir Francis Jacobs
|Advocate General at the European Court of Justice|
|Preceded by||The Lord Slynn of Hadley|
|Succeeded by||Eleanor Sharpston|
Francis Geoffrey Jacobs
8 June 1939
|Alma mater||Nuffield College, Oxford|
Sir Francis Geoffrey Jacobs KCMG KC (born 8 June 1939) is a British jurist who served as Advocate General at the Court of Justice of the European Communities from October 1988 to January 2006. He was educated at the City of London School, and Christ Church, Oxford, where he read Mods and Greats (Classics), and Nuffield College, Oxford, where he read for a DPhil in Law. He practised as a barrister from Fountain Court Chambers in London. Jacobs has served as an official with the Secretariat of the European Commission of Human Rights, Professor of European Law at the University of London and Director of the Centre of European Law for King's College London School of Law. He is visiting professor at the College of Europe. He was appointed a Privy Councillor in December 2005.
On 4 December 2007, Jacobs was elected President of Missing Children Europe, the European Federation for Missing and Sexually Exploited Children.
He was President of the European Law Institute from 2011 to 2013.
He married in 1975 (as his second wife) Susan Cox, granddaughter of Michael Gordon Clark; they have three daughters and one son. He has one son by an earlier marriage.
List of cases
This list is incomplete; you can help by adding missing items. (May 2013)
Case C-251/95 Sabel BV v Puma AG, Rudolf Dassler Sport
- Case C-412/93 Leclerc-Siplec  ECR I-00179
- Case C-34-36/95 De Agostini  ECR-I 3843
- Case C-409/95 Marschall v Land Nordrhein Westfalen  ECR I-06363
- Case C-405/98 Gourmet International  ECR-I 1795
- ^ "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 8 June 2011. Archived from the original on 9 June 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
Sir Francis Jacobs, an Advocate General, Court of Justice of the EC, 1988–2006, 72
- ^ http://www.jcc.org.uk/JohnCarpenterClub/media/images/news/publications/292-Spring08.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- ^ Missing Children Europe: European Federation for Missing and Sexually Exploited Children
- Butler, Graham; Lazowski, Adam (2022). Shaping EU Law the British Way: UK Advocates General at the Court of Justice of the European Union. Oxford: Hart Publishing/Bloomsbury. ISBN 9781509950003.
- 1939 births
- Living people
- Alumni of Christ Church, Oxford
- Alumni of Nuffield College, Oxford
- Academics of King's College London
- Academic staff of the College of Europe
- Fellows of King's College London
- English King's Counsel
- Advocates General of the European Court of Justice
- Knights Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George
- Lawyers awarded knighthoods
- People educated at the City of London School
- Members of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom
- British officials of the European Union
- British law biography stubs